To celebrate Women’s Day without recognising the contribution of Dr Ambedkar, Savitribai Phule, and Mahatma Jotiba Phule is hypocrisy and shameful act. Savitribai Phule and Jotiba Phule worked immensely for the upliftment of downtroddens in society. Theire contribution for women empowerment is forgotten by everyone. Here are few of the highlights of work done by Mahatma Jotiba Phule and Savitribai Phule for women empowerment.
Also read – Dr. B. R. Ambedkar and International Women’s Day
- On 1st Jan. 1848, India’s first school for girls was started at Bhide’s wada in Pune by Mahatma Jotiba Phule and Savitribai Phule.
- On 28 January 1853: First ever infanticide prohibition home of India was started by Savitribai Phule.
- Savitribai Phule started Mahila Seva Mandal in 1852, which worked for raising women’s consciousness about their human rights, dignity of life and other social issues. She went on to organise a successful barbers strike in Mumbai and Pune against the prevailing practice of shaving of widows’ heads.
- On 28 January 1866, Vishnushastri, inspired by Phule’s movement opened an institution to promote widow remarriage. The institution (a society) was known as Punar Vivahtojak Mandal(remarriage association).
- At a time when even the shadow of untouchables was considered impure when the people were unwilling to offer water to thirsty untouchables, Savitribai Phule and Mahatma Jotiba Phule opened the well in their house for the use of untouchables.
Read also – Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar’s fight for women’s rights
- Savitribai Phule was the first Dalit woman, in fact the first woman whose poems got noticed in the British Empire. Savitribai Phule was the mother of modern poetry stressing the necessity of English and education through her poems.
- Did you know? On 16th Nov. 1852, Phule family was honoured by the British government for their works in the field of education and Savtribai was declared as the best teacher.
- In 1863, first ever orphanage home was started by Mahatma Jotiba Phule and Savitribai Phule, hence gave protection to pregnant widows.
Do you have any other important point that we should add to our list of the work done by Phule couple for the Women Empowerment? Let us know in the comments and we will add to the list.